Welcome to my new blog!

I already run a successful blog: www.leavingcairo.blogspot.com - a blog about an English girl the wrong side of 35 who finds herself settling (for the moment) in the beautiful country of Greece.
But there's more to Bex, the author - hence "The this 'n' that blog".
Documented here will be every day ramblings and observations - enjoy!

Contributors

Followers

Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Oscars - and what IS it about Angelina Jolie??

I should warn you now - if you are a fan of 'that woman,' please read no further...you won't like this post.  I shall try, I promise, to remain a little balanced (emphasis on the 'little' I'm afraid).

OK, what has prompted Bex's outpouring on this page THIS time?  Well, last night I went round to a lovely friend's house, sat down to a delicious Clean Monday meal (Clean Monday, a public holiday in Greece and a blog post of its own) and then settled in to watch The Oscars that she'd recorded the night before.

Ahhhh, Billy Crystal - don't you just love him??  Such a natural, and perfectly happy to take the p*ss out of himself (to non-native speakers of English: to 'take the piss' means to make jokes at your own expense).
But that Angelina is another personality entirely!!!  First off, I think she takes herself WAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously.  Now to be balanced: OK, no doubt she's beautiful (purely aesthetically speaking) and I remember her in films like "Girl, Interrupted" and in her earlier career, "Pushing Tin" with the very talented Billy Bob [Thornton] and my fave, John Cusack (where's he recently??).
Interestingly I note from those films (especially the latter), she has a slightly fuller figure - and looks 100 TIMES BETTER than these days!  I couldn't help it, as I watched Angelia (before her presentation of the Writer's award), I let slip a groan:
"Ohhh GOD!  That woman doesn't have a genuine bone in her body!  Everything about her is staged" and realised :
'OOps!  I'm a guest in my friend's house and she might like her, plus my friend's just fed me, so I might be considered a bit rude!'
I needn't have worried - my friend also let out a torrent of abuse, culminating in:

"She looks like a lollipop." 

OK, see what you think:
Angelina Jolie

Lollipop




I'm trying to get you to all see how thin her body is, compared to her head.
Thanks to my friend for the comment - it made me laugh out loud.

Oh, THEN she came up on stage to present the Best Screenwriters award.  Up she saunters, and takes about 15 seconds to 'arrange' herself.  This 'arrangement' consisted of her left hand on left hip, whilst her right leg sticks out of her dress.
Now, at first I thought she was 'taking the piss' out of herself - but no!  Apparently this woman takes herself very seriously (and takes her right knobbly leg seriously too) and was 'stricking a pose.'

With Madonna's "Vogue" going off in my head, I looked incredulously at my friend and we just watched, struck dumb as she proceeded to present the Award. 

BUT (and this is the piece de resistance):

The Screenwriters were seemingly of the same opinion  as my friend and I (and most of the world?) and "took the piss" out of her!  See this Angelina Jolie Leg clip.  At least these men have a sense of humour!

So what do you think?  Who would you rather have a conversation with?  Angelia Jolie, or Cameron Diaz?  I adore this woman personally:  genuine, a slight pose - but seems down to earth and an all round adorable person (I am turning Greek, I just want to pinch her gorgeous cheeks in between my finger and thumb and kiss her, bless!)

Pictures courtesy of Google Images.




4 comments:

Sonia said...

OMG!! She has become the most annoying woman ever!!! You hit it on the nose....she's not genuine. Even Brad Pitt has become annoying for being with her! I don't even see her as beautiful anymore...if you're not beautiful in the inside that comes right through!!!

God bless the screenwriters for their impression of her! I think they spoke for everyone! They deserve a huge award for that!

And pleaaaase, Anjelina, EAT SOMETHING!!!!!

A pleasure reading this Beccy!! As always...

Jenny Woolf said...

Yeah, annoying. But so many famous people annoy me, and I don't know why! By the way have you considered doing the Greece blog thing on my website? It's the current post (or is as I write).

Unknown said...

George Cloony doesn't (annoy me). He seems like a really down to earth bloke. And I sort of like Cameron Diaz. She doesn't come across as 'affected' - although I am sure there'll be people who work with her who might beg to differ.
I've replied to your blog post - thanks so much for thinking of me! I shall give BOTH aspects you mention a go. Thanks once again.
x

Wynn Bexton said...

Hahaha. yes. The leg stunt. I really thought it was soooo staged, and so did the bevy of lovely ladies who were at my place attending an Oscar party.
I can think of a lot of other actresses I'd love to meet in person besides Jolie. What about the real women like Helen Murrin, Judy Denche, Meryl Streep to name a few. Now, as for George Clooney --- he's a real cool guy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...